Tests that may be needed

You may be asked for a sample of yoursputum so it can bechecked for infection. Other tests, such as blood tests , may also be needed.

Your GP may decide to refer you to a specialist at your local hospital for a chest X-ray or a more detailed scan, such as a computerised tomography (CT) scan .

In some cases, further tests may be required to find out where the blood is coming from. For example, you may be referred to a specialist who may decide to arrange a test called a bronchoscopy (where the main air passages of your lungs are examined using a tube with a camera at one end).

This page can give you a better idea of whatthe cause may be, but don't use it to diagnose yourself. Always leave that to a doctor .

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018