When to seek medical advice

Knock knees in children aren't usually a cause for concern and should improve as your child gets older.

However, visit your GP if:

  • the gap betweentheankles is greater than 8cm while standing with the knees together
  • there's a big difference between the angle of the lower legs when standingcomparedwith the upper legs
  • theproblem seems to be getting worse
  • a childunderthe age of twoor over the age of sevenhas knock knees
  • only one leg is affected
  • there are other symptoms, such as knee pain ordifficulty walking
  • you have any other concerns about the way your child stands or walks
  • you develop knock knees in adulthood

Your GP will examine your or your child's legs, ask about anypain or walking difficulties,and may take some measurements.

Theymay refer you to an orthopaedic surgeon (a specialist in bone and joint problems) andarrange an X-ray of your legs and blood tests to check for underlying problems.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018