What to do if you have PIP implants

You should get medical adviceif you have PIP implants.

  • If the implants were fitted on the NHS, your GP can arrange for you to see an NHS specialist.
  • If they were fitted privately, contact the clinic.
  • Ifthey were fittedprivately and the clinic is unable or unwilling to help, speak to your GP about seeing an NHS specialist.

You should have an ultrasound scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan to check whetheryour implants have ruptured. A ruptured implant should be removed as soon as possible.

If there are no signs of a rupture,talk toyour surgeon about the benefits and risks of taking the implantsout or leaving them in.

If you're concerned about leaving them in,removing them will usually be recommended.

If you decideto keep them in,you should look out for signs of a rupture and have a yearly check-up with your doctor to make sure the implants are still intact.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018