When to seek medical advice

You should see your GP if you have any worrying symptoms you think could be caused by Kaposi's sarcoma.If you have HIV, you can also contact your local HIV clinic if you have any concerns.

Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and examine your skin to look for the characteristic discoloured patches. If they suspect Kaposi's sarcoma, they will refer you for further tests to confirm the diagnosis.

These tests may include:

  • an HIV test a blood test to confirm whether or not you have HIV (if you haven't already been diagnosed with the condition)
  • a skin biopsy where a small sample of cells is removed from an affected area of skin andchecked for Kaposi's sarcoma cells
  • an endoscopy where a thin, flexible tube called an endoscope is passed down your throat to see if your lungs or digestive system are affected
  • a computerised tomography (CT)scan to see if your lymph nodes or other parts of your body are affected
Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018