Toxic shock syndrome
Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare but life-threatening condition caused by bacteria getting into the body and releasing harmful toxins.
It's often associated with tampon use in young women, but it can affect anyone of any age including men and children.
TSS gets worse very quickly and can be fatal if not treated promptly. But if it's diagnosed and treated early on, most people will make a full recovery.
This page covers:
Find out what toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is, what the symptoms are, how it happens and how to reduce your chances of getting it.
The symptoms of TSS start suddenly and getworse quickly. Symptoms can include: a high temperature (fever) of 39C (102.2F) or above flu-like symptoms , such as a Headaches , chills, muscle aches,
TSS is a medical emergency. While these symptoms could be due an illness other than TSS, it's important to contact your GP, local out of hours service or NHS 111 as soon as possible if you have a co
If you have TSS, you'll need to be admitted to hospital and may need to be treated in an intensive care unit . Treatmentmay involve: antibiotics to treat the infection in some cases, pooled immu
TSS iscaused by either Staphylococcus or Streptococcus bacteria. Thesebacteria normally live harmlessly on the skin, nose or mouth, but if they get deeper into the body they can release toxins that d
The following measures can help reduce your risk of TSS: treat wounds and burns quickly and get medical advice if you develop signs of an infection, such as swelling, redness and increasing pain al