When to see a doctor if you have acid reflux?

Visit your GP if you're worried about your symptoms, or if:

  • You have symptoms several times a week
  • Over-the-counter medications aren't helping
  • Your symptoms are severe
  • You have difficulty swallowing
  • You have possible signs of a more serious problem, such as persistent vomiting, vomiting blood or unexplained weight loss

Your GP will usually be able to diagnose GORD based on your symptoms, although they may refer you for some tests.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 19 Jan 2018