Referral to a specialist

Your GP should refer you urgently to a specialistif any of the following apply:

  • you have visible blood in your urine and no pain, and tests show there is no infection
  • you are 40 or over and keep getting UTIs and blood in your urine
  • you are 50 or over and a urine test picks up unexplainednon-visible blood in your urine
  • you have alump in your tummy (a possible tumour) that was picked up during physical examination by your doctor orduring a scan
  • non-visible haematuria is picked upduring a test, particularly if there is also protein found in the urine

Youwill be referred to a hospital urology or nephrology department, or a specialist haematuria clinic, for further tests to identify the cause of your symptoms.

These tests may include more blood and urine tests, an ultrasound scan , an X-ray and a cystoscopy . This is a procedure used to examine the inside of the bladder, using an instrument called a cystoscope.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dez 2018