When to seek medical advice

You should contact your GP or visit your nearest minor injuries unit if you're concerned about a wound, particularly if:

  • the wound is deep
  • the wound contains dirt or a foreign object
  • you haven't been fully vaccinated against tetanus
  • you're not sure whether you've been fully vaccinated against tetanus

Your GP can assess the wound and decide if you need any treatment or need to go to hospital.

You should immediately go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department or call 999 for an ambulance if you develop severe muscle stiffness or spasms.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018