Knocking out a tooth is a medical emergency.

If an adult tooth is knocked out, try putting it back in place and go straight to a dentist. Don't try to re-insert a baby tooth take your child to seea dentistimmediately.

If you can't put an adult tooth back into position, place it in milk and contact your usual dental practice. You may be able to see a dentist straight away or you may be directed to an urgent care dental service.

If you dont have a regular dentist, contact NHS 111 for advice on where to get urgent care.

If the tooth is just chipped, you should makean appointment to see a dentist to fill the tooth or smooth it down. This isn't an emergency and can wait until the dental surgery is open.

Find your nearest dentist .

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 30 Nov 2016