When to seean optician

If you have problems with your vision, make an appointment to see your optician (also known as an optometrist). They can examine your eyes and test your sight.

The optician may look at your eyes with a slit lamp or ophthalmoscope. These instruments magnify your eye and have a bright light at one endthat allows the optician to look inside and check for cataracts.

If your optician thinks you have cataracts, they may refer you to an ophthalmologist or an ophthalmic surgeon, who can confirm the diagnosis and plan your treatment. These doctors specialise in eye conditions, such as cataracts, and their treatment.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018