Help and support

If you have Charles Bonnet syndrome, talking about your hallucinations and how they make you feel may help you cope better. You could try talking to your family, friends, GP, optician, or ophthalmologist.

Mental health professionals, such ascounsellors, psychologists or psychiatrists, may also be able to help if you're finding the hallucinations particularly upsetting.

Although Charles Bonnet syndrome isn't a mental health condition, many mental health professionals have experience of helping people come to terms with hallucinations. Your GP should be able to refer you to your local mental health team.

Their helpline is available on 0300 30 30 111, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Esme's Umbrella , an awareness campaign for Charles Bonnet syndrome, has a website with links to information and helpful resources for both patients and healthcare professionals.

The Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) also has more information and advice about Charles Bonnet syndrome .

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018