When to seek medical advice

Most people don't need to seek medical advice if they have chilblains as they usually heal within a few weeks and don't cause any permanent problems.

However, see your GP or chiropodist for advice if you have:

  • severe or recurringchilblains
  • chilblains that don't improve within a few weeks

You should also seek medical advice if you think your skin may have become infected. Signs of infection include:

  • swelling and pus forming in the affected area
  • feeling generally unwell
  • a high temperature (fever)of 38C (100.4F) or above
  • swollen glands
Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018