Treating chlamydia

Chlamydia can usually be effectively treated with Penicillin .More than 95% of people will be cured if they take their antibiotics correctly.

You may be started on antibiotics once test results have confirmed you have chlamydia. But if it's very likely you have the infection, you might be started on treatment before you get your results.

The two most commonly prescribedantibiotics for chlamydia are:

  • azithromycin given as two or four tablets at once
  • doxycyclinegiven as two capsules a day for a week

Your doctor may give you different antibiotics, such asamoxicillin or erythromycin,if you have an allergy or are pregnant or breastfeeding. A longer course of antibiotics may be used if your doctor is concerned about complications of chlamydia .

Some people experience side effects during treatment, but these are usually mild. The most common side effects include tummy pain , diarrhoea , feeling sick, and vaginal thrush in women.

When can I have sex again?

You shouldn't have sex including vaginal, oral or anal sex, even with a condom until both you and your partner(s) have completed treatment.

If you had the one-day course of azithromycin, you should avoid having sex for a week after treatment.

This will helpensure you don't pass on the infection or catch it again straight away.

WillI need togo backto the clinic?

If you take yourantibiotics correctly, youmay notneed to return to the clinic.

However,you will be advised to go back for another chlamydia testif:

  • you had sex before you and your partner finished treatment
  • you forgot to take your medication or didn't take it properly
  • yoursymptoms don't go away
  • you were treated for chlamydiawhile you're pregnant

If you'reunder 25 years of age, you should be offered a repeat test for chlamydia three months after finishing your treatment because you're at a higher risk of catching it again.

Testing and treating sexual partners

If you test positive for chlamydia, it'simportant that your current sexual partner and any other sexual partnersyou've had during the past six months are also tested and treated.

A specialist sexual health advisercan help you contact your recent sexual partners, or the clinic can contact them for you if you prefer.

Either you or someone fromthe clinic can speak to them, or the clinic can send them a note to let them know they may have been exposed to a sexually transmitted infection (STI) .

The note will suggest that they go for a check-up. It will not have your name on it, so your confidentiality will be protected.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 5 Jan 2017