When to see a doctor if you have cluster headaches?

The first time you experience what you think may be a cluster headache, then you should see a doctor as soon as possible. The doctor will ask you about your symptoms and may refer you for tests.

In some people, a brain scan is needed to exclude other conditions that can have similar symptoms to cluster headaches.

Typically, in cluster headaches the brain scan is normal and the diagnosis is made on the basis of your symptoms without the need for tests.

If you are diagnosed with cluster headaches, you will usually see a specialist such as a neurologist (a specialist in conditions affecting the brain and nerves) to talk about your treatment options.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 28 Nov 2016