Seeing a doctor

If you have a serious eye injury, you'll usually be seen by an eye specialist called an ophthalmologist or a specialist eye nurse.

You'll be asked how the injury happened, your vision and eye movements will be checked, andthe eye willthen beexamined to determine how severe the injury is.

If there's a foreign object in your eye, they may remove it using water or a cotton wool bud. Local anaesthetic drops are used to numb your eye before any objects are removed.

You may be prescribed a course of antibiotic ointment or eye drops for a week to help prevent infection. Infections after eye injuries are uncommon, but they can potentially be very serious.

If you have a cut on your eye or damage to the bones around your eye, you may need an operation to repair them.

Depending on the severity of your injury, your doctor may recommend a follow-up appointment with your GP the next day to check whether your eye is healing.

Your GP may refer you to an ophthalmologist for further specialist care if your eye hasn't improved after 48 hours or it's got worse.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018