Getting help and support

All women and girls have the right to control what happens to their bodies and the right to say no to FGM.

Help is available if you've had FGM or you're worried that you or someone you know is at risk.

  • If someone is in immediate danger , contact the police immediately by dialling 999.
  • If you're concerned that someone may be at risk , contact the NSPCC helpline on 0800 028 3550 or .
  • If you're under pressureto have FGM performed on your daughter , ask your GP, health visitor or other healthcare professional for help, or contact the NSPCC helpline.
  • If you've had FGM , you can get help from a specialist NHS gynaecologist or FGM service ask your GP, midwife or any other healthcare professional about services in your area. Download a list of NHS FGM clinics (PDF, 430kb) .

If you're a health professional caring for a patient under 18 who has undergone FGM, you haveprofessional responsibilities to safeguard and protect her. Guidance and resources about FGM for healthcare staff are available on the GOV.UK website.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018