When to see your GP

There's usually no need to seek medical advice for indigestionas it's often mild and infrequent and specialist treatment isn't required.

However, you should see your GP if you have recurring indigestion and any of the following apply:

  • you're 55 years of age or over
  • you've lost a lot of weight without meaning to
  • you have difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
  • you have persistent vomiting
  • you have iron deficiency anaemia
  • you have a lump in your stomach
  • you have blood in your vomit or blood in your stools

These symptoms may be a sign of a more serious underlying health problem, such as a stomach ulcer or stomach cancer .

Also see your GP if you get indigestion regularly, if it causes you severe pain or discomfort, or if your regular anti-reflux remedies stop working.

Your GP willask you about your symptoms and:

  • any other symptoms you have thatmay indicate an underlying health condition
  • any medication you're taking as some medications can cause indigestion
  • your lifestyle some lifestyle factors, such as smoking, drinking alcohol or being overweight, can cause indigestion

Your GP may alsopress gently on different areas of your stomach to see if this is painful and whether any of your internal organs are swollen.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018