Social care for people with cancer

If you've been diagnosed with cancer, your treatment and medical care will probably be the first thing on your mind.

But there are other aspects of your life to think about and it's important to know exactly what kind of assistance is available and where you can get it.

If you're finding it difficultto cope with day-to-day life,talk to your doctor or nurse. They'll be able to refer you to a social worker who will carry out an assessment and recommend specifichelp tomeet your needs(see below).

Care attendants

Care attendantscan help with housework, dressing and washing, and they can even keep you company and give your carer a break. Look into this as soon as you can becausemany care attendants have waiting lists.

Carers Trustis an organisation in England and Wales that helps carers by visiting homes and taking over the caring responsibilities for a while. Visit the Carers Trust (external link) or phone0844 800 4361.

Meals at home

Contact your local council aboutits meals at home service.It will usually be able to offer financial assistance to help pay for this. VisitGOV.UK (external link) for details of your eligibility.

Financial benefits

You may be eligible for income support,disability living allowance or attendance allowance. Get in touch with the Benefit Enquiry Line for more details on0800 882200 (textphone 0800 243355) or online at theDepartment for Work and Pensions(external link).

Home adaptations

Occupational therapists can provide a detailed assessment of your home needs, making life easier by arranging equipment and making adaptations to your home.

The aim isto create a comfortable and practical place to live during your treatment. For example, it could involve putting in a shower downstairs or adding handrails around the house to assistyour mobility.


Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 12 Jan 2015