Diagnosing molluscum contagiosum

Thespots caused by molluscum contagiosum (MC) are usually easy to recognise.

Your GP should be able to diagnose the condition without carrying outfurther tests.

Confirming a diagnosis

If your GP thinks that the infection may be caused by something other than MC, they may want to carry out some tests.

For example, theymay take a sample from one of the spots to test it for the molluscum contagiosum virus (MCV).This is known asa skin Biopsy .

If you have spots on your genitals, your GP may refer you to a genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic to be tested for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) .

If you prefer, you can go toan STI clinic directly. Consultation is confidential and free.

Referral to a specialist

Your GP may refer you to a specialist if:

  • youhave HIV and your symptoms are severe
  • youhave a weakened immune system for another reason such as receiving chemotherapy
  • you have spotson your eyelids ornear your eye,and/or your eye is red or painful

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 30 Jun 2016