When to get medical help

Necrotising fasciitis is a medical emergency that requires immediate treatment.

Go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department as soon as possible if you think you have it. Call 999 for an ambulance if you're too unwell to get yourself to A&E.

Blood tests and scans may be carried out to find out what's causing your symptoms, although a diagnosis of necrotising fasciitis can usually only be confirmed by having an operation to examine the affected tissue.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018