Diagnosing penile cancer

Your GP will ask you about any symptoms you have and when they occur. They'll also examine your penis for signs of penile cancer.

In 2015, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence ( NICE ) published guidelines to help GPs recognise the signs and symptoms of penile cancer and refer people for the right tests faster. To find out if you should be referred for further tests for suspected penile cancer, read the NICE 2015 guidelines on Suspected Cancer: Recognition and Referral .

If your GP suspects penile cancer, theymay refer you toa specialist usually a urologist (a doctor who specialises in conditions that affect the urinary system and genitals).

The specialist will ask about your symptomsand check your medical history. They may also check for any physical signs of penile cancer.

A blood test may be carried out to check your general health and the number of blood cells.

To confirm a diagnosis of penile cancer, you may need to have a biopsy . Asmall tissue sample will be removed so it can be examined under a microscopefor cancerous cells.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018