When to get medical advice?

See your GP or call NHS 111 if you're worried or need advice about your symptoms.

For example, if:

  • The pain gets much worse in a short space of time
  • The pain won't go away or keeps returning
  • You have unexpected weight loss
  • You have unusual vaginal discharge
  • You bleed from your bottom
  • You have a persistent change in toilet habits

Call 999 for an ambulance or go to your nearest hospital accident and emergency (A&E) if you:

  • Have sudden, severe stomach pain
  • Feel pain when you touch your stomach
  • Are vomiting blood
  • Have bloody or black, sticky stools
  • Aren't able to urinate
  • Have collapsed or can't breathe
  • You're diabetic and vomiting

If you feel pain in the area around your ribs, read about chest pain for information and advice.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 23 Jan 2018