If you're currently employed and have recently been diagnosed with a visual impairment, you should contact theAccess to Work scheme.

Access to Work is a scheme run by Jobcentre Plus that provides advice and support about what equipment and adjustments may be required to enable you to do your job.

They also offer a grant to contribute towards the costs of any equipment or training you may need, such as voice recognition software, a Braille keyboard and display unit and a printer that can convert text into Braille (Braille embossers).

Depending on the size of the company you work for, the grant can pay for 80-100% of costs, up to 10,000.

If you're currently looking for work, there are three main organisations that can provide extra advice and support:

You don't have to disclose that you have a visual impairment when applying for a job, but it'susually recommended that you do.

If you feel you've been turned down for a job because of your disability, and you were capable of doing the job, you can make a complaint under the Equality Act 2010.

Some people with a visual impairment decide to become self-employed, often because it allows them the flexibility to work at home for hours they choose.

Action for Blind People has self-employment advisers who can provide information and training on issues such as drawing up a business plan, obtaining funding and book-keeping.

The RNIB website hasmore information and advice aboutwork and employment. You can also read more about employmenton the Action for Blind People website.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018