Anal pain (pain in the bottom) can be distressing, but is often just the result of a minor, treatable condition.

The medical name for pain in and around the anus or rectum (back passage)is proctalgia.

This pages covers:

Common causes of anal pain

Less common causes of anal pain

When to get medical advice

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 4 Jan 2017