Being aware of the signs

It's very important to be aware of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and to look out for warning signs.

You should suspect carbon monoxide poisoning if:

  • other people in your house, flat or workplace fall ill with similar symptoms
  • your symptoms disappear when you goaway for example, on holiday andreturn when youcome back
  • your symptoms tend to be seasonal for example, if you get headaches more often during the winter when the central heating is used more frequently
  • your pets also become ill

Other possibleclues of a carbon monoxide leak include:

  • black, sooty marks on the front covers of gas fires
  • sooty or yellow/brown stains on or around boilers, stoves or fires
  • smoke building up in rooms due to a faulty flue
  • yellow instead of blue flames coming from gas appliances
  • pilot lights frequently blowing out

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018