Seeingyour GP

You should see your GP if you have problems with your hearing or persistent discharge from your ear.

Your GP may diagnose or suspect a cholesteatomaafter examining your ear with an otoscope,an instrument with a light and magnifying glass that allows doctors to see inside your ear.

If it's possible you just have an ear infection, you may initially be givena course of antibiotics to see if your symptoms improve.

If your GP thinks you have acholesteatoma, they will refer youto hospital so your ear can be examined by an ear, nose and throat (ENT) surgeon.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018