When to get medical advice

Visiting your GP surgery with a possible C. difficile infectioncan put others at risk, so it's best to call your GP or NHS 111 if you're concerned or feel you need advice.

Get medical advice if:

  • you have persistent diarrhoea after finishinga course ofantibiotics
  • you have bloody diarrhoea
  • you have diarrhoea andexperiencesevere tummy pain,a high fever, a rapid heart rate or fainting
  • you have symptoms of severe dehydration , such as confusion, drowsiness, only passing small amounts of urine or no urine at all

Diarrhoea can be caused by a number of conditions and isa common side effect of antibiotics, so having diarrhoea while taking antibiotics doesn't necessarily mean you have aC. difficile infection.

Your GP may suggest sending off a sample of yourpoo to confirm whether you have C. difficile. A blood test may also be carried out to help determine how severe the infection is, and sometimes you may need tests or scans in hospital to check if your bowel is damaged.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018