Botulism is a very rare but life-threatening condition caused by toxins produced by Clostridium botulinum bacteria.
These toxins are some ofthe most powerful known to science. They attack the nervous system (nerves, brain and spinal cord) and cause Paralysis (muscle weakness).
Most people will make a full recovery with treatment, but the paralysis can spread to themuscles thatcontrol breathing if it's not treated quickly. Thisis fatal in around 5-10% of cases.
This page covers:
Read about botulism, a rare but serious condition caused by toxins produced by Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Find out about the symptoms, causes and treatments.
The time it takes to develop symptoms can vary from a few hours to several days after exposureto the Clostridium botulinum bacteria or their toxins. Depending on the exact type of the condition (see
Botulism is a very serious condition that requires immediate medical attention. Go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department or dial 999 for an ambulancestraight awayif you or some
Clostridium botulinum bacteria are found in soil, dust, and river or sea sediments. The bacteria themselves aren't harmful, but they can produce highly poisonous toxins when deprived of oxygen such as
Botulism needs to be treated in hospital. Thewayit's treated depends onwhichtype of botulism you have, but treatment will usually involve: neutralising the toxins with injections of special antitox
As a result ofhigh standards of food hygiene in the UK, the chances of getting food-borne botulism from food bought in this country are tiny. There's a slightly higher risk if you produce your own fo